Jonathan J. Helmus
Advanced Algorithms Engineer
Climate & Atmospheric Science Department
- Ph.D., Chemical Physics, The Ohio State University, 2011.
Current RoleAdvanced Algorithms Engineer; scientific software developer for the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program.
CapabilitiesDevelopment of scientific Python software; algorithm design and implementation; open-source code project management; software documentation; interfacing of legacy code with Python; software optimization; version control; modern software engineering practices; unit testing; continuous integration; analysis of data from weather radar; design and implementation of radar retrievals and corrections.
- Lead Software Engineer: Software lead of the Python ARM Radar Toolkit, an open source package for visualizing and analysis of weather radar data.
- Postdoctoral fellow: Development of advanced techniques for processing medical nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) data; stable deconvolution of multidimensional NMR data to enhance sensitivity and resolution simultaneously; maintenance and updating of software package for processing multidimensional NMR data.
- Graduate researcher: Magic-angle spinning solid-state NMR spectroscopy studies on the structural and dynamic properties of a human prion protein in its fibril state; development of a solid-state NMR method to measure long-range structural restraints in biological solids by using covalently attached paramagnetic spin labels.
- Software developer: Open-source package (nmrglue) for working with NMR data in the Python language; scientific Python modules; signal processing, feature detection, and simulation algorithms for use in a scientific fields; interfacing of legacy code into modern software products.