- Ph.D., Ecology, Cornell University, 1978.
Current RoleDirector, Environmental Science Division (EVS), with responsibility for management and strategic direction.
CapabilitiesResearch in landscape and ecosystem ecology; application of geospatial methods and technology to environmental systems analysis; energy-environment stewardship issues.
- Argonne project leader: West-wide and East-wide energy transportation corridor projects; Alaska natural gas pipeline project; riparian habitat management planning in the Southwest.
- Principal investigator: Alaska Federal/State North Slope Science Initiative; forest loss and fragmentation due to agricultural development in Northern Thailand; visualization of landscape change in Western pinyon-juniper forests; lead on numerous large proposals.
- Developer/manager: Start-up of the geographic information system (GIS) and remote sensing laboratory at Argonne; research partnerships with several Midwest universities; technical support and research MOUs between Argonne and several federal agencies.
- Consultant: Ecological agricultural system planning, Zhejiang Agricultural University, Hangzhou, China; energy use in agriculture, Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome, Italy.