James A. Kuiper
Principal Geospatial Engineer
Environmental Software and Data Management Department
- M.S., Biometrics, and Certificate of Remote Sensing, University of Michigan, 1986.
Current RolePrincipal Geospatial Engineer, Environmental Software and Data Management Department.
CapabilitiesGeographic information systems, including technical coordination and development of web-based mapping applications with analytical and modeling capabilities; planning and leadership of geospatial projects; development of geospatial models, analysis methods, and databases; coding of analytical functions; statistical analysis; application of these skills to energy corridor and energy zone planning, climate change, environmental impact assessment, environmental risk, and emergency planning.
- Principal investigator: Technical support to DOE office of NEPA Policy and Compliance, Solar Energy Environmental Mapper (Solar Mapper).
- Technical leader: Energy Zones Mapping Tool, Section 368 Energy Corridor Analysis, West-wide Energy Corridor Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement and subsequent energy corridor projects and analyses, Interactive Renewable Energy Atlas, Western Interconnection Environmental Risk Calculator, Trans-Alaska Pipeline Lease Renewal project, and many others. Over 25 years of geospatial science experience at Argonne, with 4 years in prior positions.
- Lead developer: Geospatial Analysis Tool Kit for Regional Climate Datasets (GATOR), Special Population Planner emergency planning software.
- Awards: Director's Award, Pacesetter Award.